Outliner Software Forum RSS Feed Forum Posts Feed

Subscribe by Email

CRIMP Defined

 

MyPersonalProductivity

 

Curio 30% off till December 28th

< Next Topic | Back to topic list | Previous Topic >

Pages:  < 1 2 3 > 

Posted by Hugh
Dec 23, 2014 at 07:02 PM

 

I should have said - thanks for the tip-off, Franz. As it happens, I’m already “invested” - otherwise I’d have acted on your tip.

But top 5s/home screens/favourites comprise a perennial interest. Franz, what are yours?

 


Posted by Franz Grieser
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM

 

>But top 5s/home screens/favourites comprise a perennial interest. Franz,
>what are yours?

On Windows:

LibreOffice (writing, calculating, presenting)
Scrivener (structuring)
Papyrus Autor (spell checking, grammar checking, style checking)
Evernote
Xmind and Scapple

On Mac OS X:

LibreOffice or Microsoft Office 2013 (I don’t like LibreOffice on the Mac so I installed MS Office but both are less than ideal)
Scrivener
Papyrus
Devonthink Pro (or Curio or AND Curio - just got Curio)
Tree 2

 


Posted by Hugh
Dec 24, 2014 at 05:53 PM

 

Interesting. Thanks, Franz. Papyrus is highly rated by a German author whose work I respect. Its website says that an English version was expected in the autumn this year, although I haven’t seen evidence of a launch yet (perhaps I haven’t looked in the right places).

 


Posted by Franz Grieser
Dec 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

 

Hugh wrote:
>Interesting. Thanks, Franz. Papyrus is highly rated by a German author
>whose work I respect. Its website says that an English version was
>expected in the autumn this year, although I haven’t seen evidence of a
>launch yet (perhaps I haven’t looked in the right places).

Your’re talking about Andreas Eschbach? I like some of his novels, too. BTW, he is also a member of the Scrivener forum.

Andreas had great influence on the development of Papyrus Autor, especially the style checker, which makes Papyrus unique. There is nothing like that in German software and I do not see anything similar in English software. What is more: Papyrus also includes an adapted edition of the Duden spell and grammar checker - that software used to be available for Microsoft Office and OpenOffice but was discontinued a few months ago. But the makers of Papyrus say that their cooperation with the Duden developers will continue.

I do not know whether and when a English edition of Papyrus will come out. I’d say that the style checking features would have to be developed from scratch maybe based on Strunk. We’ll see…

 


Posted by Hugh
Dec 25, 2014 at 06:43 PM

 

Franz Grieser wrote:
Hugh wrote:
>>Interesting. Thanks, Franz. Papyrus is highly rated by a German author
>>whose work I respect. Its website says that an English version was
>>expected in the autumn this year, although I haven’t seen evidence of a
>>launch yet (perhaps I haven’t looked in the right places).
> >Your’re talking about Andreas Eschbach? I like some of his novels, too.
>BTW, he is also a member of the Scrivener forum.
> Yes. Good writer, helpful guy.

Franz Grieser wrote:
>Andreas had great influence on the development of Papyrus Autor,
>especially the style checker, which makes Papyrus unique. There is
>nothing like that in German software and I do not see anything similar
>in English software. What is more: Papyrus also includes an adapted
>edition of the Duden spell and grammar checker - that software used to
>be available for Microsoft Office and OpenOffice but was discontinued a
>few months ago. But the makers of Papyrus say that their cooperation
>with the Duden developers will continue.
> >I do not know whether and when a English edition of Papyrus will come
>out. I’d say that the style checking features would have to be developed
>from scratch maybe based on Strunk. We’ll see…
> >
Yes, that would have to be the case.

Here’s the English-language website: http://www.papyrus-author.com

 

 


Pages:  < 1 2 3 > 

Back to topic list