Outliner Software Forum RSS Feed Forum Posts Feed

Subscribe by Email

CRIMP Defined

 

MyPersonalProductivity

 

BrainstormSW updates or alternatives

< Next Topic | Back to topic list | Previous Topic >

Pages:  1 2 3 > 

Posted by tradercclee
Jan 18, 2014 at 03:09 PM

 

I’m in a constant state of CRIMP…

But I find myself returning to 2 tools when I really need to get stuff done.

1) OPML Outliner.  Or any simple, 1 pane outliner.
2) BrainstormSW

Brainstorm fits how my mind works perfectly.

I love splitting panes on the fly and simultaneously working on different sections.
However, I don’t like being stuck on a PC and relying on importing/exporting constantly.

What’s the closest software to Brainstormsw?
Workflowy looks okay, but doesn’t “feel” the same.

Would love to find something with these criteria:

1. Feels like BrainstormSW (hoisting, splitting panels, linking to other sections quickly, etc)

2. Can also feel like an outliner. (Can collapse subsections, instead of hoisting)

3) Saves the files in plaintext if possible.  (Like Listacular)

4) Can sync via saving in Dropbox folder.

5) Has a client on different platforms.  (PC, iOS, Android, etc)

Lots to ask for!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

 


Posted by Stephen Zeoli
Jan 18, 2014 at 08:35 PM

 

That’s a tall order. I think the closest thing to Brainstorm that I can think of is actually Ginko. Just think of it as Brainstorm where you can see the various sub-levels at the same time. Or maybe not. (I’m not sure this is an original idea with me… I think someone else may already have suggested this elsewhere.)

Recently, Manfred Kuhn had an article about replicating Brainstorm’s functionality in ConnectedText:

http://takingnotenow.blogspot.com/2014/01/recreating-brainstorms-capabilities-in.html

But even if you like that approach, it doesn’t give you the multi-platform app that you’re looking for.

Tinderbox maps actually behave like Brainstorm, in that they show one level at a time, but you can drill down to other levels. You can have multiple windows open side by side to switch your work focus. It also behaves like an outliner (in the outline view). But, of course, it is Mac OS only and expensive. (The more I think about this, though, the more I realize I frequently use Tinderbox the way I used to use Brainstorm.)

Wish I could give you better suggestions.

Steve Z.

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Jan 18, 2014 at 09:18 PM

 

tradercclee wrote:
>What’s the closest software to Brainstormsw?
>Workflowy looks okay, but doesn’t “feel” the same.
> >Would love to find something with these criteria:
> >1. Feels like BrainstormSW (hoisting, splitting panels, linking to other
>sections quickly, etc)
> >2. Can also feel like an outliner. (Can collapse subsections, instead of
>hoisting)
> >3) Saves the files in plaintext if possible.  (Like Listacular)
> >4) Can sync via saving in Dropbox folder.
> >5) Has a client on different platforms.  (PC, iOS, Android, etc)

WorkFlowy seems to tick most of those boxes. What is it that you don’t like about it? Sure, it’s not exactly the same as Brainstorm, but it’s pretty close.

 


Posted by tradercclee
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

 

Dr Andus wrote:
tradercclee wrote:

>WorkFlowy seems to tick most of those boxes. What is it that you don’t
>like about it? Sure, it’s not exactly the same as Brainstorm, but it’s
>pretty close.

The split panel view in Brainstom is super important to my way of working…
Sometimes I create 3-4 panels on the fly, and then shrink back to 1.

Workflowy isn’t designed to work like this.
It does have potential though… Maybe I’ll play with it more.

Thanks!

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Jan 19, 2014 at 10:44 PM

 

tradercclee wrote:
>The split panel view in Brainstom is super important to my way of
>working…
>Sometimes I create 3-4 panels on the fly, and then shrink back to 1.

I know it probably won’t be as fast but you could open multiple browser windows with WorkFlowy and tile them in whatever way you like, so you could emulate a Brainstorm environment (probably a screen positioning utility like WinSplit Revolution could make the window positioning a bit faster).

 


Pages:  1 2 3 > 

Back to topic list