Outliner Software Forum RSS Feed Forum Posts Feed

Subscribe by Email

CRIMP Defined

 

MyPersonalProductivity

 

Typewriter scrolling for Windows

< Next Topic | Back to topic list | Previous Topic >

Pages:  1 2 > 

Posted by JohnK
Jul 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM

 

This will only be of interest to a small minority of this group, but anyway…as of v0.9.9.0, preview 3, the Windows writing program Writemonkey (http://writemonkey.com) offers typewriter scrolling.

For those who don’t know what typewriter scrolling is: for years I have found it odd that all word processors have a built-in flaw - if you are typing a long document, eventually the cursor reaches the bottom of the screen, and stays there. Crude and unergonomic. Bring back the typewriter.

Since Mac OSX came on the scene, a number of programs, including Writeroom (http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom), have introduced what’s called “typewriter scrolling” - the cursor remains fixed at a line of your choosing and the text scrolls away from you. Maybe disconcerting for youngsters who have never used a typewriter, but very natural for me.

Because a few programs for Mac offer this feature, which has been non-existent on Windows, I assume the Mac OS built-in edit controls make it easy to offer typewriter scrolling, but that’s guesswork.

But some time ago I suggested to Writemonkey’s author that he add typewriter scrolling (more in hope than expectation). And now it’s there. It’s marked as an experimental feature, and it is a preview version, so if you try it don’t use it for anything important, but the scrolling feature works well for me.

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Jan 20, 2012 at 02:44 AM

 

JohnK wrote:
>This will only be of interest to a small minority of this group, but anyway…as of
>v0.9.9.0, preview 3, the Windows writing program Writemonkey
>(http://writemonkey.com) offers typewriter scrolling.
> >For those who don’t know
>what typewriter scrolling is: for years I have found it odd that all word processors
>have a built-in flaw - if you are typing a long document, eventually the cursor reaches
>the bottom of the screen, and stays there. Crude and unergonomic. Bring back the
>typewriter.
> >Since Mac OSX came on the scene, a number of programs, including
>Writeroom (http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom), have
>introduced what’s called “typewriter scrolling” - the cursor remains fixed at a line
>of your choosing and the text scrolls away from you. Maybe disconcerting for
>youngsters who have never used a typewriter, but very natural for me.
> >Because a few
>programs for Mac offer this feature, which has been non-existent on Windows, I assume
>the Mac OS built-in edit controls make it easy to offer typewriter scrolling, but
>that’s guesswork.
> >But some time ago I suggested to Writemonkey’s author that he add
>typewriter scrolling (more in hope than expectation). And now it’s there. It’s
>marked as an experimental feature, and it is a preview version, so if you try it don’t
>use it for anything important, but the scrolling feature works well for me. 

Well, apparently there is now typewriter scrolling in Scrivener for Windows as well. I only discovered it by accident as I was getting annoyed that in Full Screen view the text was jumping around, whenever I tried to highlight text with a mouse and drag it. It turned out that “typewriter scrolling” was on, and after toggling it off with WindowsKey+Ctr+T my problem disappeared.

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Jan 20, 2012 at 04:05 AM

 

Dr Andus wrote:
>Well, apparently there is now typewriter
>scrolling in Scrivener for Windows as well. I only discovered it by accident as I was
>getting annoyed that in Full Screen view the text was jumping around, whenever I tried
>to highlight text with a mouse and drag it. It turned out that “typewriter scrolling”
>was on, and after toggling it off with WindowsKey+Ctr+T my problem disappeared. 

Furthermore, I’ve just found out that typewriter scrolling can be set individually for all three editors within Scrivener (i.e. the two halves of the split screens and the Full Screen mode).

 


Posted by Jon Polish
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

 

Q10 can also be set up for typewriter scrolling.

Jon

 


Posted by Kensai
Feb 13, 2012 at 05:57 PM

 

How so?  I used to use Q10 a great deal and still have a copy sitting in my dropbox, “just in case”.  The closest thing to typewriter scrolling I’m aware it can do is to simply pad the bottom margin, which really isn’t the same thing.

Jon Polish wrote:
>Q10 can also be set up for typewriter scrolling.
> >Jon

 


Pages:  1 2 > 

Back to topic list