Outliner Software Forum RSS Feed Forum Posts Feed

Subscribe by Email

CRIMP Defined

 

MyPersonalProductivity

 

best outliner you use? (2018)

< Next Topic | Back to topic list | Previous Topic >

Pages: ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 > 

Posted by tightbeam
May 10, 2018 at 05:52 PM

 

jaslar wrote:
>I used Workflowy for about three years, on the subscription model. After
>I canceled, I can no longer use the product at all - although I was at
>least able to export and import it to another platform. The same thing
>will happen with Outlinely.

I wonder if a “leasing” model would make sense: pay the subscription for couple of years (with the option to cancel at any time), and then, if you’ve faithfully made those monthly payments, you get a standard license and no more payments. This way, the developer is getting more money, over time, and customers have a vested interest in keeping up with their subscriptions to “earn” the standard license.

 


Posted by satis
May 10, 2018 at 08:18 PM

 

tightbeam wrote:

>I wonder if a “leasing” model would make sense: pay the subscription for
>couple of years (with the option to cancel at any time), and then, if
>you’ve faithfully made those monthly payments, you get a standard
>license and no more payments. This way, the developer is getting more
>money, over time, and customers have a vested interest in keeping up
>with their subscriptions to “earn” the standard license.

I doubt the “more money” the dev gets from that would be enough to meet cashflow needs. Workflowy’s pricing is equivalent to its competition, and given the active development and costs I doubt they feel they need to lower prices.

Workflowy: $49/year
Checkvist: $39/year
Dynalist: $96/year (when they’re not offering periodic 1-yr, 50%-off deals)

I think even gingkoapp.com charges upgrade pricing in that range as well, but info about that is so obscure I can’t find it with a quick search right now.

 


Posted by satis
May 10, 2018 at 08:42 PM

 

satis wrote:

>I think even gingkoapp.com charges upgrade pricing in that range as
>well, but info about that is so obscure I can’t find it with a quick
>search right now.

Ha, found it over on the site for the desktop app(!) ginkgo.io - online Gingko is a (weird) “$2 → $21 monthly subscription” for what Adriano is calling the “older version” which is not under “ongoing development” (wtf).

 


Posted by moritz
May 20, 2018 at 04:31 AM

 

Best Outliner in 2018 for me is, by far, OmniOutliner 5 (primarily used on Mac, with occasional seamless use of iPhone and iPad apps to update).

Sum is more than the parts, there is nothing out there that works as well for me end-to-end (... still have many other outliners and mind mappers to use on the side).

Couple of highlights (not a full review):
- 100% focused on outlining, doesn’t try to make coffee
- Has all common outliner functions, except cloning. E.g. customizable keyboard shortcuts, hoisting and notion of “checked” items, …
- Offers columns to capture and track different kinds of metadata. This helps for structured writing (filter, sort, search, … by column) as well as project management scenarios, with very nice Excel export
- Features have over the last 15+ years matured with great attention to detail: filter (“search”) works in batch find mode, can selectively only display line with search expression, ... filters are powerful and can be saved
- I like the smart use of “Sections” sidebar on the left to present alternative hierarchical navigation, irrespective of filter mode applied to the right
- OO 5 is the only outliner I am aware of that supports “dynamic” styles and at the same time can export those to Microsoft Word (as of OO version 5, older versions left you stranded whenever the time came to take your document beyond the outliner ...)
- Best outliner I have found with regards to the handling of body text (using the “Notes” feature): Can be limited to first line, full text, or hidden, displayed inline or in a notes pane. Notes export cleanly with their own named style to .docx

 


Posted by Stephen Zeoli
May 20, 2018 at 03:16 PM

 

Does it still require syncing through its OmniPresence cloud service? If so, I assume you find that works just fine…

moritz wrote:
Best Outliner in 2018 for me is, by far, OmniOutliner 5 (primarily used
>on Mac, with occasional seamless use of iPhone and iPad apps to update).
> >Sum is more than the parts, there is nothing out there that works as
>well for me end-to-end (... still have many other outliners and mind
>mappers to use on the side).
> >Couple of highlights (not a full review):
>- 100% focused on outlining, doesn’t try to make coffee
>- Has all common outliner functions, except cloning. E.g. customizable
>keyboard shortcuts, hoisting and notion of “checked” items, …
>- Offers columns to capture and track different kinds of metadata. This
>helps for structured writing (filter, sort, search, … by column)
>as well as project management scenarios, with very nice Excel export
>- Features have over the last 15+ years matured with great attention to
>detail: filter (“search”) works in batch find mode, can selectively only
>display line with search expression, ... filters are powerful and can be
>saved
>- I like the smart use of “Sections” sidebar on the left to present
>alternative hierarchical navigation, irrespective of filter mode applied
>to the right
>- OO 5 is the only outliner I am aware of that supports “dynamic” styles
>and at the same time can export those to Microsoft Word (as of OO
>version 5, older versions left you stranded whenever the time came to
>take your document beyond the outliner ...)
>- Best outliner I have found with regards to the handling of body text
>(using the “Notes” feature): Can be limited to first line,
>full text, or hidden, displayed inline or in a notes pane. Notes export
>cleanly with their own named style to .docx
>

 


Pages: ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 16 > 

Back to topic list