Outliner Software Forum RSS Feed Forum Posts Feed

Subscribe by Email

CRIMP Defined

 

MyPersonalProductivity

 

Help With Connected Text

< Next Topic | Back to topic list | Previous Topic >

Pages:  1 2 3 4 > 

Posted by Daly de Gagne
Apr 2, 2012 at 01:24 AM

 

I am trying to get started with Connected Text.

One thing I notice right away is that when I am writing in CT it appears there is no word wrap. In other words I am typing one great big long line. When I go into view mode what I have written wraps.

Is there a way to have word wrap in the edit mode? If there isn’t, I cannot imagine myself writing if I am unable to scan over what I have written.

Also, is there any way to dock all the various windows?

Thanks.

Daly

 


Posted by Daly de Gagne
Apr 2, 2012 at 02:27 AM

 

Not to worry - I found the menu option which gives me word wrap.

And I think I have partly solved the docking problem.

I began by setting up a personal project with the main topics: Fitness, Meditation, Personal Journal, Photography, and with subtopics.

I’m going to play around with adding information, and see how it goes.

When I feel more confident, I’ll set up a work project. I think I see how one project really can consist of many projects.

Daly

Daly de Gagne wrote:
>I am trying to get started with Connected Text.
> >One thing I notice right away is that
>when I am writing in CT it appears there is no word wrap. In other words I am typing one
>great big long line. When I go into view mode what I have written wraps.
> >Is there a way
>to have word wrap in the edit mode? If there isn’t, I cannot imagine myself writing if I
>am unable to scan over what I have written.
> >Also, is there any way to dock all the
>various windows?
> >Thanks.
> >Daly

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Apr 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM

 

If you haven’t already done so, it might also be a good idea to sign up for the ConnectedText forum and just browse through the past posts and monitor the new ones as they come in. One can learn a lot from just simply trying out stuff (often codes posted) that other users are talking about.

 


Posted by Daly de Gagne
Apr 6, 2012 at 03:44 PM

 

Thanks, Dr Andus.

I have done as you suggested and joined the forum.

I am taking some timid steps.

This weekend I hope to download Glen’s academic plug-in and see if I can get the hang of integrating it into my project.

Essentially what I want to do is to have authors and info related to them, and then have quotes from my various authors arranged as to themes - but am unsure how to set up the links so everything is most easily accessible. Am thinking categories might be best way to deal with the themes - or not.

If I use categories am thinking to have the word theme in each category or simply a T, in case for other reasons I want to use the word denoting the theme for a category unrelated to quotes.

I do feel overwhelmed by all the info a/b CT - and though I realize much work has gone into creating the help info still feel there’s something lacking for ppl like me who seem not to have a natural understanding of how wikis work or possibilities they offer.

This weekend I plan to spend a couple of hours doing nothing other than exploring CT.

Any help or suggestions you or others can offer is much appreciated.

Daly

Dr Andus wrote:
>If you haven’t already done so, it might also be a good idea to sign up for the
>ConnectedText forum and just browse through the past posts and monitor the new ones as
>they come in. One can learn a lot from just simply trying out stuff (often codes posted)
>that other users are talking about. 

 


Posted by Dr Andus
Apr 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

 

Daly de Gagne wrote:
>Essentially what I want to do is
>to have authors and info related to them, and then have quotes from my various authors
>arranged as to themes - but am unsure how to set up the links so everything is most easily
>accessible. Am thinking categories might be best way to deal with the themes - or
>not.

There might be more people on the CT forum who could advise you on this, in case you want to repost your question there. I’m just a beginner, so I’d use Categories for what you describe: categories for the authors and the various themes. I’m aware that there are also Properties and Attributes, but I didn’t have to use them yet.

>If I use categories am thinking to have the word theme in each category or simply
>a T, in case for other reasons I want to use the word denoting the theme for a category
>unrelated to quotes.

I wonder if that’s necessary, given the various features in the Category pane. The tree view for example allows you to build a hierarchy of categories, which is a way of grouping them. And then for displaying the topics in the given categories, you have the option to look for Union (all topics with all the categories selected) or Intersection (topics that must have all categories selected). Also, you can rename categories later, and add as many categories to a topic as you like. So you may not need to mark the theme categories with a T.

>I do feel overwhelmed by all the info a/b CT - and though I
>realize much work has gone into creating the help info still feel there’s something
>lacking for ppl like me who seem not to have a natural understanding of how wikis work or
>possibilities they offer.
> >This weekend I plan to spend a couple of hours doing
>nothing other than exploring CT.
> >Any help or suggestions you or others can offer is
>much appreciated.

If you haven’t done this yet, I found it helpful to go through every single command in the pull-down menus and see what they do. Especially the View one seemed important, as it contains all the main tools of the software, which allow you to construct your own workspace and workflow. Only after I understood these could I begin to come up with the arrangement that particularly suited the task I wanted to use CT for. You can actually save your optimal desktop arrangement, so it’s preserved (in fact you can save several desktop versions). It all depends on what you want to do with it, how big your monitor is, and how many monitors you are using.

For example, I have Table of Contents docked on the left, so I can always see the outline of the document I’m working on. If I’m annotating, I have the Notes pane docked to the right. If I’m adding categories to my topics, I may have the Categories and the Topics panes docked on the right next to each other. The topic’s window is in the middle. I usually have the Navigator window open on a second monitor to my right, as it helps me visualise the hierarchical relationship between various topics that I linked together.

 


Pages:  1 2 3 4 > 

Back to topic list